Saturday, July 11, 2009

Positive Parenting for Dummies

Now that's a book I'd like to read.

A combination of fatigue, school holidays, rainy weather and 3 children, all at different but equally challenging stages, got the better of me today.

Quite simply I'm not the mother that I thought I would be. I am less patient, more time poor and grumpier with my kids than they warrant (most of the time) They are just behaving like 2, 4 and 6 year old children should but I am not acting like a 40 year old mother should.

Yet my 6 year old can still tell me that I am the best mum in the world, even after an awful day like today. Breaks my heart and warms it at the same time. The unconditional love of our children.

In all the information that my husband and I have sourced since becoming parents, we have found no end to the "don't do" recommendations but we just can't seem to find out how to do that "positive parenting" that seems to be recommended.

So at the end of a bad day, I kiss my kids, tuck them in and tell them that I love them. Tomorrow we will start again and all promise to try harder.

"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? "
Ed Dussault

1 comment:

Karen said...

Parenting is so hard...wish they all came with a manual like my sewing machine did ;)

Don't be too hard on yourself we all have bad days (I think I have more bad than good!!) but as long as our children know they are loved that is all that matters :)