Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I choose.....

AMJ 2011

I don't like summer,
especially in Adelaide.
I grew up in Tasmania where 28 degrees was a scorcher
and, after 18 years here, I still can't get used to
5 days in a row over 35 degrees
or waking to mornings that are already too hot to go outside.

AMJ 2011

I don't mind winter but I am not sure I love it.

I love the snuggle-down, comfort-food, movies-and-hot-drinks-on-rainy-days,
no-need-for-sunhats-and-sunscreen-every-day,
electric-blanket-warm-bed-if-someone-remembers-to turn-it-on side of it
but I don't love the get-out-of-bed-to-nippy-air mornings
or the-days-end-early-too-early afternoons
or the get-into-a-cold-bed-and-argue-over-who-forgot-to-turn-the electric-blanket-on
side of things.

AMJ 2011

I love Spring.
I love Autumn.
Not too hot. Not too cold.
Just right.

AMJ 2011

But how do I choose my favourite?

AMJ 2011

One is beautiful as Mother Nature awakens again,
ready to face the next cycle.
The other is stunning as she prepares to sleep
until the sun warms up again.

AMJ 2011

In Autumn, I know that I can snuggle into all those thick, warm knits
that I have been busy making
whereas in Spring, I know that they are headed for hibernation.

Little Boozle 2011

Little Boozle 2011

Little Boozle 2011

So for now I chose Autumn.

But come Spring...ask me again.

I am nothing if not fickle.

(Pattern: Splash vest by Wendy Bernard.
Yarn: araucania-copihue) 

15 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

This made me smile - I was outside thinking what a lovely autumn day it was and it was 28 degrees! Think I would get a bit cold in Tasmania.

Kate said...

Wow Tas, your pics are fab!
I find the only getting colder thing about Autumn pretty depressing but I am loving that vest.

Beki said...

Beautiful pics!
I don't think I have a favourite as like you I can be some what fickle.
It's very warm and sunny here at the moment and I'm suffering with a lot of headaches but come Winter I will be craving sunshine again xx

JulieT said...

Lovely knits and beautiful photos I think Autumn is the very best time of the year!

Tracy said...

Me too :) Love the vest!

Tania said...

Just keep knitting chunky, love. Winter might really grow on you. (But I'm voting Autumn for all the same reasons as you).

Jo-anne Blossy said...

I don't like Summer in Adelaide either. That's why I moved to country Victoria. Its so much cooler here. Give me Spring & Autumn weather any day!
Love the photos and that vest looks great!

Little Munchkins said...

I am the opposite - I like it when it's hot. Give me 30C and I am a happy girl.

I love the vest! It looks great on you and I like the yarn colour you picked too.

Unknown said...

Great pics! Hmm I much prefer the cooler weather but then again we are heading into our very long summer where 45c is the norm ... groan ....

Lola Nova said...

Goodness, that vest is absolutely beautiful! It almost makes me wish for Autumn...but not quite.
Lovely photos!

Karen said...

Gorgeous photos Tas but I'm not with you seasonally, I'm a summer-lovin' girl.

Kat said...

Love your photos - awesome! I'm an autumn girl myself :)

Kelly Casanova said...

I could have written that, I'm exactly the same. I choose Autumn too (because it's autumn, right?)

Anonymous said...

I am exactly the same! Give me Fall or Spring any day!

Cathie said...

gorgeous Tas!
i soo love spring & autumn, definitely not summer, heat = headaches for me.
i am loving these leaves everywhere at the moment & natures beauty.
enjoy ♥