Thursday, July 19, 2012

The world needs more Betty Whites


(stylinggame.blogspot.com)


You will know from past blog posts
that I get really shitty about over-the-top political correctness.
I am not against rational political correctness.
It's just the silly stuff.

The baa baa rainbow sheep silliness.

The scandal over Ernie and Bert sharing a bedrooom
(and don't get me started on best mates, Noddy and Big Ears)

An Australian shopping centre chain trying to ban their Australian Santas from saying "ho, ho, ho"
in case they offend women due to the American slang use of the word.

I could go on but everyone has their own examples.

At the moment, my daughter talks about her friend with black skin.
She says it because she is five and her friend has black skin.
There is no underlying agenda or any offense intended.
She is a little kid.
But I squirm when she says it
and I resist the urge to clamp my hand over her mouth
and I am waiting for the PC police to come knocking at our door.
I find myself trying to explain to her why people might not like her using those words.
Geeze. She is five.
Can't she just be a little girl for a while longer?

I was never a Golden Girls fan
but I think that I fell in love with Betty White
when she starred in the Snickers commercial in 2010
in her late 80s.
(No, not THE late 80s; HER late 80s)

So what would Betty say?

Well, what she has said is this:

"I don't care who anybody sleeps with. If a couple has been together all that time — and there are gay relationships that are more solid than some heterosexual ones — I think it's fine if they want to get married. I don't know how people can get so anti-something. Mind your own business, take care of your affairs, and don't worry about other people so much."

And this:

"I think that we're losing our sense of humour instead of being able to relax
and laugh at ourselves.I don't care whether it's ethnicity, age, sexual orientation
or whose ox is being gored"


(hollywoodreporter.com)

 But best of all, she said this:

“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”

As long as Betty Whites are around,
hopefully we wont take ourselves so seriously.

7 comments:

Tin Can Daisy said...

Oh I agree!! The world and it's political correctness had become crazy. Go Betty :)

sascedar said...

ok so i'm gonna be taking 'grow a vagina' and i'm gonna run with it. hilarious. and true. ;)

quilary said...

This is when Blogger really needs a "thumbs up" button.

bec said...

I have a few Betty White quotes I pull out when necessary! she's tops- I think my grandma could have been a Betty White style if she hadnt been stomped on by my grandpa! The 'grow some balls' is my personal fave heehee. And yep, so OTT it's crazy!

Tanya said...

thanks for the laugh!

Sally said...

Oh I love that last quote best of all. I'll certainly be using it!

dawnberries said...

So true! I remember my bff's daughter saying that she had a boyfriend when she was about 5. She said it was the boy down the street with the brown head. I am white and married to a black guy, and we have 2 kids (one light brown, one as white as I am). You have no idea how much I wish people would shut up about race and just use color words as descriptions of peoples' skin whenever they feel like it, without all the loaded meanings. I don't even like it that my husband says he and his children are "black". They are NOT. His skin is dark brown for Pete's sake. I like in that movie Bulworth when he says something about 'everybody shagging everybody until we are all the same color'.